Columbus Land Sale is Held at the Start of the War of 1812
of land in
began on June 18, 1812, the same day that the United States
declared war on Great Britain.
The original in-town lots were 62.5 feet wide and
187.5 feet deep. The front property lines would be bordered by streets and the
back lines by 33-foot wide alleyways.
Out-lots, containing about three acres each, were
those located farthest from the center of town.
The most desirable properties along the planned High
and Broad Streets
were priced as high as $1,000 per lot. Out-lots cost in the range of $200.
The proprietors’ “terms of sale” required the
purchaser to have a down payment of one fifth of the purchase price and agree
to pay-off the balance in four equal annual installments. Interest was charged
for late payments and an eight percent discount was given to those who met all
of their loan obligations on time.
The initial sale lasted only three days, but brought
together an industrious community of about 50 purchasers that immediately
started clearing the land for the eventual construction of streets, houses,
inns, and shops.
and Bust Times Affect County Land Sales